August Significant Incidents
Posted on September 29, 2021 in News
Significant Incident Monthly Summary:
- 1,772 Total Incidents (RRFA Responses)
- 4 Significant Incidents
- 1 Significant EMS Call
- 3 Significant Fire Calls
- 4 Significant Malicious False Alarm Calls
- 4 Significant Incidents
- On Wednesday, August 4th, Renton RFA responded to a brush fire in Station 17’s area on the 16700 block of SE 174th St near Lake Desire. Renton RFA responded with Puget Sound RFA with 2 engines, 1 brush rig and 2 officer rigs for a total of 10 RRFA personnel. Witnesses had called to report trees on fire at McGarvey Park right before Rainier Christian School. Crews arrived and established command to quickly extinguish a 150’x20’ slow moving brush fire. No civilians or RFA personnel were injured.
- On Sunday, August 8th, Renton RFA responded to motor vehicle accident in Station 14’s area on the 500 block of Rainier Ave S. Renton RFA responded with Skyway Fire Department and King County Medic One with 3 engines and 1 officer rig for a total of 10 RRFA personnel. The driver of a vehicle was travelling southbound on Rainier Ave S at a high rate of speed and lost control, hitting a light pole on the driver’s door, entrapping the driver in the vehicle. The driver was severely injured, and RFA crews assisted in extricating the patient. The patient was transported to Harborview.
- On Monday, August 9th, Renton RFA responded to a shooting turned residential fire in Station 13’s area on the 11400 block of SE 177th Renton RFA responded with Renton PD, King County Medic One, Puget Sound RFA, Tukwila Fire Department and Skyway Fire Department with 2 aid units, 6 engines, 2 officer rigs and a fire investigator for a total of 25 RRFA personnel. The shooter was inside their residence firing shots into neighbor’s houses. Family members were still inside the home, and RPD reported the shooter would not come downstairs. As crews arrived, reports of a fire in the upstairs bedroom came from dispatch, and the area was evacuated. The officer on duty watched the fire progress through drone footage, as firefighters were advised not to enter as additional shots were fired. As the fire progressed, a second alarm was requested and additional units were dispatched. Renton RFA and PD moved into the building as SWAT provided protection for all crews operating in the hazard zone. Crews extinguished the fire and PD took the suspect into custody. Crews assisted Medic One in treating the suspect and released them back into police custody.
- On Saturday, August 14th, Renton RFA responded to a residential fire on the 16300 block of 120th Ave SE. Renton RFA responded with Puget Sound RFA with 4 engines, 1 aid unit, 2 officer rigs and a fire investigator for a total of 17 RRFA personnel. A single-story house had an attic fire that crews quickly extinguished and afterward secured power and gas lines to the structure, shutting off all electrical breakers. No civilians or fire personnel were injured.