Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths, unintentional injuries, and hospital admissions for trauma. Falls can take a serious toll on quality of life and independence. Here are a few techniques you can practice to stave off falls from your daily routine:
- Use proper technique when lifting and carrying to avoid back injuries.
- Separate your feet shoulder-width apart, bend at the knees, tighten your stomach muscles and lift with your leg muscles as you stand up.
- If an object is too heavy or is an awkward shape, do not try to lift it by yourself.
- Read directions carefully before operating power tools and other equipment.
- Be cautious when using extension cords. To avoid tripping or falling, be sure they are properly grounded and do not drape extension cords across spans of crossing walkways.
- Take frequent breaks while working around the house and drink plenty of fluids before, during and after to prevent dehydration.
- Always keep a phone within reach in case of accident or injury.
Source: Virginia Orthopedic Specialists