July 2021 Significant Incidents
Posted on August 31, 2021 in Significant Incident Recap
These are the significant incidents for the month of July:
- 1,801 Total Incidents
- 5 Significant Incidents
- 1 Significant EMS Call
- 3 Significant Fire Calls
- 1 Significant Special Operations Call
Significant Incident Details:
- On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 5:23 pm, Renton RFA responded to a brush fire in Station 13’s area behind the Royal Hills Apartments located at 3000 Royal Hills Dr SE. We responded with King County Medic One, Renton PD, Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority, Tukwila Fire Department, Eastside Fire and Rescue, King County Fire District #20, and Valley Regional Fire Authority with 5 engines, 1 aid unit, 2 officer rigs and 1 fire investigator for a total of 26 RFA personnel. The fire was burning in grass and brush underneath the BPA powerlines as the wind shifted and began to gust in the direction of a housing complex nearby with winds approximating 20 mph. Crews performed fire attack with the aid of additional resources until the fire was extinguished. The cause of the fire was not determinable.
- On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 3:55 pm, Renton RFA responded to a fire in the laundry room of the Fairwood Villa Condominiums in Station 17’s area. We responded with 2 engines and 1 officer rig for a total of 10 RFA personnel. A fire in the tumbler of a coin-operated dryer machine had remained contained and was extinguished by crews. No citizens or personnel were injured, and the scene was turned over to the King County Investigator and all units returned to service.
- On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 2:10 am, Renton RFA responded to a commercial fire in Station 11’s area at the Stoneway Black River Quarry located at 510 Monster Rd SW. We responded with 3 engines, 1 aid unit and 2 officer rigs for a total of 13 RFA personnel. A security officer reported smoke and flames coming from one of the buildings with sounds of an explosion. Crews arrived an established fire attack to quickly extinguish the fire coming from heavy machinery. Renton PD was contacted due to previous arson activity in the area, and the scene was turned over to the RFA Fire Investigator.
- On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 12:38 pm, Renton RFA responded to a rope rescue in Station 14’s area at the Federal Reserve building located at 2700 Naches Ave SW. We responded with King County Medic One, Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority, Tukwila Fire Department, North Highline Fire District 11, and South King Fire and Rescue with 2 engines and 2 officer rigs for a total of 8 RFA personnel. A contracted window washer was hanging five stories up and needed assistance down after his rope system seized on him. The first attempt to reach the patient via aerial ladder was unsuccessful. Crews then positioned for a rope rescue from the top of the building and brought the patient safely to the ground. RFA personnel performed triage and confirmed no injury and turned patient over to King County Medic One for additional evaluation.
- On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 1:42 pm, Renton RFA responded to a rescue in Station 14’s area on the 2000 block of SW Sunset Blvd. We responded with Tukwila Fire Department and Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority, with 2 engines and 1 officer rig for a total of 7 RFA personnel. A male living in a homeless camp called 911 for a medical emergency. Crews arrived to find the patient several hundred feet down an embankment. The patient admitted to drug use and possible dehydration, and personnel gave him water. The decision was made to call Zone 3 rescue response to set up a rope system to retrieve the patient. Once the rope system was set up, the patient began to feel better and refused all treatment and transport. The rope system was taken down and all units returned in service.